Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm Weird


I just finished the Financial Peace University course offered at my church, and created by Dave Ramsey, financial guru. Mostly Dave Ramsey reminds me of my Dad because he won't let you spend any money. (Just kidding, Dad!) But seriously, I enjoyed this course because it made me think more about how I manage God's money when it's in my wallet. In the final lesson, The Great Misunderstanding, it really was made clear to me that money is not, was not, and never will be mine. I simply use it to glorify God and to do his work. Throughout high school and college, my schools and churches have all had different ways to manage money and to budget. What I like about the Dave Ramsey one is that it balances out the necessity of saving money and having it for important things like college tuition and retirement, it's also very clear in saying that unless you are giving money away, it is a detriment to you. So having money is not bad, but "the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil". I think it has really put a lot of things in perspective for me, and I really want to take the class again sometime to better understand the details!
For all of you who are unfamiliar with Financial Peace University, I'm including the 7 Baby Steps to Financial Peace. Here they are:

1. Have $1000 in the bank for an "emergency fund"
2. Develop a debt snowball (pay off debts!)
3. Save 3-6 months of expenses
4. Invest 15% of your income
5. Save for college tuition
6. Pay off your house early
7. Build wealth and give it away

Since I don't have kids or a house, I only have 5 baby steps right now. :) Whew! I highly encourage anyone to take this class - it seems impossible to do, but it's not when it's all broken down this way.

0 comments: