Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Music


I have a friend who believes that contemporary Christian music (aka Praise music) is not appropriate for a Christian to listen to. Now I know that sounds weird, and I thin it is, too, but here's the reasoning: Christian music should be only Scripture set to music - sharing our own stories of faith and struggle are not really Christian. So that made me kind of upset, because I think that fellowship (even the indirect sort that we experience hearing Chris Tomlin talk about his faith) is important in our lives. If we're listening to music that is Christian but is glorifying the individual instead of worshiping God, then that's a different story. But I go back to "It is Well" and "Come Thou Fount" - both traditional hymns with beautiful music and lyrics that have stood the test of time, even in the conservative church - that are great stories about the lives of two people struggling in their own lives. Anyway, I just thought about that today while I was raking leaves at Bill Woodhouse's home (before the delicious veggie soup and lemon bars! Thanks Jan!).
Which reminds me...cinnamon raisin bread is on the menu for today! I'm excited to get home and enjoy the warm fire.

0 comments: